- 1 14-oz can of black beans
- 1 15-oz can of organic corn (or 1-3/4 c of fresh cooked corn kernels)
- 1/2 c chopped red onions
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno, including seeds
- 1 cup of loosely packed cilantro leaves
- one roma tomato
- 1 cup of chopped sweet peppers (all one variety or a mixture of colors)
- juice of one lime
- 2 T rice vinegar
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1/2 t salt (omit if your beans have salt)
- 1/2 t hot jalapeno powder *
Rinse and drain the black beans and the corn, and put them into a mixing bowl. Chop the jalapeno (carefully) and add. Chop the cilantro and other veggies. Add them and all the other ingredients, and stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving so the flavors can blend. Nice served with corn chips.
Keep in mind that much of the corn (and available garden corn seeds) grown in the US are now genetically-modified (GMO). Not only are there potential health and environmental problems from GMO crops, but the ability to save and replant seeds is denied by these Monsanto-produced seeds. Growing your own corn from heirloom seeds or buying organically grown corn and corn products can help you avoid GMO corn.