- 2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp dried lemon peel or 1 T fresh lemon zest
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat yogurt
- 1 cup grated zucchini (tightly packed)
Mix the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.
Add zucchini mixture to flour mix, combining until just moist. Pour into loaf pan(s) and bake for 45-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- I add 1 cup of blueberries to this; try other in-season chopped fruit like peaches or strawberries
- For a variation, substitute orange peel and extract for the lemon
- This freezes very well, and the recipe doubles well
- For picky eaters, peel the zucchini before grating and no one will suspect any foreign ingredient!