11/9/10

Judy's Sweet Potato Spice Bread

This is a moist, finely textured quick bread I created to use some of my huge sweet potato harvest. Cook extra sweet potatoes without any seasoning when you are preparing some for a meal, and set aside enough to make this recipe. I've frozen zip bags with 1-1/4 cups of mashed cooked sweet potatoes for future use. The next time I make this bread, I think I'll also add one chopped apple. Yum!
  • 3 c whole wheat white flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 tsp ground ginger root
  • 1/2 c golden raisins
  • 1/2 c chopped nuts
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 c oil
  • 1/4 c honey
  • 1/2 c molasses or sorghum
  • 1-1/4 c cooked sweet potatoes
  • 1/2 c apple juice or milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large bowl. Stir raisins into the dry mixture. I use the food processor for the wet ingredients - but you can mix by hand if preferred. Pulse the eggs to beat slightly, add the rest of the wet ingredients and process until the potatoes are well mashed into the liquid. Pour the wet into the dry ingredients, and mix by hand until everything is moistened - the batter will be thick. Pour into one greased standard loaf pan or three greased mini loaf pans. Back large loaf for 60 minutes, small loaves for 45 minutes, until the top is browning. Freezes well if you don't eat it all fresh from the oven. I like this for breakfast.

2 comments:

  1. Judy did you use fresh grated ginger or ground dry ginger. how much difference would there be measurement wise. I am hoping to try this with fresh ginger but when I don't have it I do use the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mountain Granny: I usually use dried ginger root powder for this recipe, but I am sure you can substitute with finely grated fresh ginger root. Each particle would be larger, of course, than the powder, so just be sure to mix in well. Let me know how it comes out!

    ReplyDelete