I use one half of a pitted, skinned, ripe avocado in my Vitamix, with ingredients for about 32 oz of smoothie. The darkest green part of the avocado flesh, closest to the skin, is the most dense in nutrients, so be sure to scrape the skin clean before putting it in your compost pot.
The yellow-green color of this fruit might alter your smoothie color, which is no problem if you are making green smoothies. For all-fruit smoothies, if this color change bothers you or those you share smoothies with, experiment initially by adding avocado to a smoothie made with colorful ingredients, like blueberries or blackberries. Or add a big spoonful of unsweetened powdered organic cocoa or carob for a flavor boost and color mask.
Here are some avocado facts from Natural News
- Avocadoes provide all 18 essential amino acids
- Avocadoes provide the healthy kind of fat that your body needs. Like olive oil, avocadoes boost levels of HDL (the "good" cholesterol)
- Avocadoes are an excellent source of carotenoids
- Avocadoes offer powerful anti-inflammatory benefits
- Avocadoes have a unique combination of Vitamins C and E, carotenoids, selenium, zinc, and phytosterols
- Avocadoes are rich in omega-3 fatty acid