2/26/15

Delicious Gluten Free Dinner Rolls

  
I shy away from posting someone else's recipe in this blog, but this one is worth an exception. I made these rolls last night and they are fabulous! Make them for yourself or make a batch for a GF family member or friend and treat them to the bread they've been missing! I think even non gluten-free eaters will love these rolls, as Rick did.

NOTES: I ordered the specified flour from Amazon, but the next time I'll try some other GF all-purpose flour, like Bob's Red Mill, for comparison. The original recipe, with many variations, is here, on the flour website, but I first saw it posted by another food blogger with her changes, and that's the version I followed (and posted below). Next time I make these, I'll reduce the sugar to 2 tablespoons, since they tasted a bit sweet to me (some sugar is necessary, to feed the yeast). I used coconut palm sugar instead of white sugar (which is only on my shelf for the hummingbirds). I might use honey next time, which always worked fine in my non GF bread recipes in place of white sugar. Also, I used unsalted butter. The recipe calls for xanthan gum, which might not be on your baking shelf if you are not GF yourself; it's a bit pricy but you use very little at a time. A substitute which perhaps you'd have more use for is psyllium powder, which you can buy at a drug store or online as Konisyl Original Psyllium Fiber. I don't have a cookie scoop, so I greased an ice cream scoop (complete with a penguin handle!) and globbed the dough into the pan, smoothing it with wet fingers. I made 8 rolls (and we each ate 2!), not 9, so mine were a little bigger. They browned really fast; I added the note about browning in the recipe below, in case your oven reacts the same as mine. Remove the rolls from the pan as soon as possible, as with all gluten-free baked goods. 
Bottom rolls have been smoothed with wet fingers.
     There are many other GF recipes on the flour maker's website so be sure to check it out - I plan to try others, maybe the pumpernickle bread next.


Pull-Apart Dinner Rolls {Gluten-free}
Author: Michelle @ MyGluten-freeKitchen.com
Recipe type: Yeast Breads/Rolls
Cuisine: Gluten Free, Vegetarian
Serves: 9
NOTE: Ingredients in red type are detailed on the "Ingredients" page of this blog

INGREDIENTS
2-3/4 c Gluten Free Mama's Almond Blend Flour
1-1/2 tsp xanthan gum or 1 T psyllium powder
2 tsp instant yeast
1/4 c sugar
1 tsp salt
1 c warm water (105-110°)
2 T butter, dairy-free margarine, or Spectrum shortening, melted
1 egg (preferably room temp)
1 tsp cider vinegar

INSTRUCTIONS
Right out of the oven, brushing the tops with melted butter
In the mixing bowl of your electric mixer, mix together flour, xanthan gum, instant yeast, sugar, and salt. With mixer running on low speed, add in the water, melted butter (or substitute), egg, and cider vinegar. Mix on high speed 3 minutes.

Spray 8" or 9" round cake pan or pie plate with cooking spray. Using a 2" scoop or ⅓ cup measuring cup, scoop dough into 9 mounds in the pan. I place one mound in middle, then scoop 8 mounds of dough side by side all the way around the pan. Dip your fingertips into warm water and use to smooth out the tops of the rolls, continuing to wet fingers as needed.

Cover with a dry towel and let rise in a warm place 45 minutes to 1 hour. During the last few minutes that the rolls are rising, preheat oven to 400°. Bake in 400° oven for 26-28 minutes. [If they brown too fast, lay a piece of aluminum foil over the top to prevent further browning; I had to do this after 15 minutes of baking.] Tops should be golden brown and if you measure temperature of dough, it should measure 200°. Brush rolls with additional 1/2-1 Tablespoon of melted butter.

Let me know how you like these!

No comments:

Post a Comment